Monday, October 29, 2007

NYC/ Queens/ L.I. Tour #5- Scribbling Can Be Art!

On my first day in the Big Apple I hit both the Metropolitan Museum of Art and MoMA. I didn't take any photos at the Met, although I did see a killer show of Rembrandt works and other Dutch Masters from the museum's permanent collection, including some very famous Vermeers that were awesome to gaze upon. (Remind me to do an entry on this genre painting in the exhibit by an artist named Jan Steen: "The Dissolute Household"-- it was a hoot.)

I also saw some hot Greek and Roman statues. They've completely expanded that section since my last visit.

However, it was at the new MoMA that my breath was taken away by the beauty of the art and the new exhibition spaces. I wish this museum were in San Francisco. Cezannes and Picassos and Matisses--famous ones! I wanted to stay all day and soak them in.

My camera is new and I forgot how to turn off the flash, or else I would have taken photos inside. I wanted to take one of this famous Pollack drip painting, with hordes of people milling in front of it, but the guards were admonishing others for taking flash pictures.... I stumbled on this other painting by Cy Twombly-- I'm not really familiar with his work. This one is called "Leda and the Swan;" it's huge, and it restores my faith in the concept of SCRIBBLING AS ART. My photo came out sucky-- this image is off the museum's website.

Painting: Cy Twombly. (American, born 1928). Leda and the Swan. Rome 1962. Oil, pencil, and crayon on canvas, 6' 3" x 6' 6 3/4" (190.5 x 200 cm). Acquired through the Lillie P. Bliss Bequest and The Sidney and Harriet Janis Collection (both by exchange). © 2007 Cy Twombly

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home